Tales from the Sea Garden

Tales from The Sea Garden

Email me: theseagarden@btinternet.com

Wednesday 14 October 2015

Autumn Bliss



Ah such balmy October weather! I have enjoyed two lovely days out with friends this week. I love it when it is warm and sunny at this time of year because
1. I have the time to enjoy it and
2. there are not hordes of tourists everywhere! (am I allowed to say that?) 

On Monday we went to Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens near Penzance; only we didn't have time to see the gardens themselves, only the cafe and the plant nursery next door, which had a nice selection of succulents, palms and cacti.
Out of the wind it was so hot I was just sitting in a short sleeved top! 


Each outside table at the cafe had a little wooden trough with succulents growing in it. My vanilla bread and butter pudding was divine. It is such a treat when you live alone to eat out. All the food was presented on these wooden platters; at other cafes recently I've noticed the absence of conventional plates. Food comes served on wood or a slate; I've even had a pudding in a kilner jar!


Today, after a delightful morning strolling around the antique shops of Lostwithiel, we headed on to The Duchy of Cornwall Nursery where there is another lovely cafe! (Food is one of my greatest pleasures.)


Again it was warm enough to sit outdoors....

Pan-seared scallops with pea and pancetta risotto - delicious!

After all that we needed a walk, so just a short drive away we parked at Respryn bridge and walked along the River Fowey through the woods and up to Lanhydrock House. All was quiet as it was past opening time at this lovely National Trust property. Even the gatehouse is splendid...

The gardens were in quiet repose in the fading evening light.

One last look back up the carriage drive before heading back to the van and home......

Autumn Bliss!

2 comments:

  1. All looks beautiful - like me you are lucky enough to be able to go to such places when they are quiet - I understand about crowds of people. When we're next in England I must go and visit these places you've shown in your lovely photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How gorgeous! Sunny autumn days are like a bonus, and you found some lovely places to enjoy them.

    And the food - yum! Some of my favorite cafes have been attached to museums or National Trust properties. In Italy, even, I always looked forward to having an espresso at the cafe after going through the galleries.

    ReplyDelete